Thursday, July 19, 2012

On Being Stubborn



The fortune teller---an old woman with young hands---claimed I was stubborn. I'm sure anyone could guess that, right? As she gestured to each tarot card, I thought I'd take this trait, one that's often perceived negatively, and see how I could use it to improve, evolve, and ameliorate. 

Writing: Refusing to give up, refusing to allow anything but love when love seems to be the easiest thing to drop, is what makes great books (great anything, really). 
That's the thing: when you're beginning, there usually isn't anyone watching over you, making sure you've completed this or that task. There's that essential something---a mix of stubborn behavior and insanity---that makes dreams come true. 

Medicine: It's convenient to complain a lot in medical school. Everyone's doing it and most of the time, it's a unifying experience. We complain over our 20 hour days, the volume of information, patient reports, etc. But it can also become a little negative at times. At times, I'm optimistic to an irritating degree but for now, I'll keep to that :) 

It's our own stubborn tendencies that can keep us going.


P.S. I'm heading to Canada this weekend for a quick trip (cousin's wedding!) but will be back soon. I can't wait to catch up with your blogs!!




5 comments:

  1. Hi Saumya, we writers are indeed stubborn, that's why we persist despite all the odds that stack up against us.

    Enjoy the wedding in Canada :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Rachna! Thanks so much. The wedding was wonderful. I'll post some pictures soon :)

      Delete
  2. We wouldn't make it if we weren't stubborn.
    Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an "ox" as far as the Chinese zodiac goes. It is one of our first, defining characteristics. I just wish I had thicker skin to accompany it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! That's so cool! I once saw that I was a Tiger but my brother is also an ox :) You are super tough, Jennifer. I know that just from reading your poetry!

      Delete