Monday, July 30, 2012

Rules on Writing



"Revise, revise, revise. I cannot stress this enough. Revision is when you do what you should have done the first time, but didn’t. It’s like washing the dishes two days later instead of right after you finish eating. Get that draft counter going. Remove a comma and then print out another copy — that’s another draft right there. Do this enough times and you can really get those numbers up, which will come in handy if someone challenges you to a draft-off. When the ref blows the whistle and your opponent goes, “26 drafts!,” you’ll bust out with “216!” and send ’em to the mat."

One of 10 rules from this New York Times article by Colson Whitehead.

8 comments:

  1. yup! Putting this one to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe! That's great advice. Unlike Alex, I don't like revising, but the manuscript has to shine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me when i have written something, I try to go through it immediately and do some corrections. Then i just keep quiet for 2/3 days, after which I again go and read it and do some more additions or delete something that doesn't seem to sound right. Like this the process goes on till I feel I am really done with it. Then there is just one final editing after which, whatever i have written is ready.
    I think different things work for different people.
    One thing I am yet to learn is to be precise, though I try my best to be so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, I'm one of those people who does the dishes two days later. I have to let the draft sit and ruminate before I revise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am revising my manuscript again. Super advice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very true, revising helps in giving a neat appearance finally:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope we're not talking about novels or 216 drafts would be quite the overload! lol

    There was a time I didn't like revisions. Sometimes, I still don't. But one thing I DO notice is how much creativity is still needed in revising. It isn't JUST the technical stuff. It is also a better idea, word choice, image, etc.

    ReplyDelete