Monday, October 22, 2012

Tips from a wise writer


"When still a child, make sure you read a lot of books. Spend more time doing this than anything else. When an adult, read your own work as a stranger would read it, or even better, as an enemy would."

"Don't confuse honors with achievement."

"Protect the time and space in which you write. Keep everybody away from it, even those who are most important to you."

-Zadie Smith 

P.S. On Creepy Query Girl's blog, I read her post about a fellow writer's work being stolen from a friend. This is one of the most devastating things that can happen to one of us and unfortunately, occurs too often. Of course, when it occurs with a friend, that bond is likely corrupted for good.
 With the internet, it's become easier to steal someone's words and ideas and then just conveniently disappear, like in this case. Still, Wendy is handling her situation with an admirable grace. Go show her some support and remember, be careful with your work but as Wendy noted, don't allow one negative experience to taint future relationships. 

11 comments:

  1. I read that as well - terrible!
    And I definitely read a lot of books as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the time and space quote. That one's so important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous quotes! And I think everyone is buzzing about that blog post. I feel so bad for Wendy, but I commend her for the way she's handling it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read what happened. Such a sad thing. Great quotes, I read and read and read as a child. It does make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i read the post on Creepy Query Girl and was horrified. some people just don't have integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good grief- how horrible that is! I love those quotes. Reading as a child sets the stage for so many wonderful things to come~

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Protect the time and space in which you write. Keep everybody away from it, even those who are most important to you."

    Great words. I *need* to do this or I'll never finish my current projects. People ALWAYS call me when I'm writing (big sigh).

    Heading over to the plagiarism story you mention. Sounds like every writer's nightmare come true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feel bad for Wendy, we do have to be careful with our work lest someone steals it. I loved reading both as a kid and as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awful thing to happen to Wendy! Gah. I hate that a few rotten types can ruin the wonderful, supportive spirit the writing community has.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The middle piece of advice is one of the best to keep in mind.
    I'm going to hop over to Wendy's blog now, excuse me.

    ReplyDelete