Saturday, February 23, 2013

The power of a book: The Lover's Dictionary

The days had become monotonous since the new year. Work, sleep, errands. The monotony broke when I spent Valentines weekend with Samir and before I left, he gave me some gifts. Among them was a book titled The Lover's Dictionary.




I don't usually gravitate to romantic books but this one was different. It's a novel written in the form of a dictionary. Each entry is akin to a poem: short yet satiated with insight. It goes into the morose places love can sometimes fall into and the hope that makes this emotion so sought after. 




Interrupting the monotony of the present and providing something to beat it in the future. That's what love and books are capable of. 

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful book! I'm going to have to look for it-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book, it is so beautifully written! And for lovers of words and language, as well as lovers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard really great things about this book, it's been on my to-read list for about six months now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a clever book! I'll have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete