Thursday, July 11, 2013

to surrender

One of the biggest hurdles I've faced throughout life is knowing when to surrender. There are things that I can work for, dream of, and people whom I can show love but there are also just as many, if not more, facets of life that can't be controlled.

Writing has taught me that. It has given me a lot but the biggest gift so far is the acceptance of uncertainty. The only thing I can count on is the rush that comes with putting black against white and that's always been enough. 

On this path of trial and error, ebb and flow, I've learned some things (and have yet to learn many more):

-I was asleep when the year began. My flight from India landed just a few hours before midnight and when I woke up, 2013 had already arrived. My birthday was spent studying. On Memorial Day, I was in front of a glowing computer screen, scrolling through practice questions. The "important" days don't necessarily happen when the calendar tells them to. They happen when they can.

-Motivation is contagious.

-Your calling in life is malleable to an extent. Be adaptable to its changing face.

-Every once in a while, it's important to take some time to reflect on your strengths and weaknesses and ask if you've been contributing to the world outside of yourself in the best way possible 

-Apathy can be liberating in small doses

-See everything that you've worked on as practice

-Everyone has that turning point---a springboard that changes the trajectory of the future. Sometimes it looks a lot like failure and sometimes it looks like nothing at all.

-The biggest key to getting anything done is working on it when you don't feel like it. 

-The most radiant pictures of Audrey are from her older years, when she chose not to get photographed as often and  buried herself in humanitarian work. The way she surrendered to time and allowed it carve grooves in her face will always inspire. 




8 comments:

  1. Apathy is liberating in small doses - awesome!
    The one before it is really profound though.
    Once we realize something things are out of our control, it takes the pressure off of us. We aren't expected to fix it or do something, because we can't, so we can relax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very wise woman, my friend. Wise beyond your years~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Profound thoughts Saumya. Many of the things in life are beyond our control. Surrender is a important part of our growth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every once in a while, it's important to take some time to reflect on your strengths and weaknesses and ask if you've been contributing to the world outside of yourself in the best way possible ........THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT,in life......Thank so much....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the insight about apathy, too. Sometimes you just have to "idle your motor" so to speak. It's the times when we do nothing when inspiration returns. Meanwhile, thanks for the picture of Audrey Hepburn's graceful aging. She was such a gracious lady, and kept true to her priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember a conversation with a little Saumya...many moons ago..."saumya what do you want to be when you grow up?" "Actress" pat came the reply with huge smile.
    And look at you now..so big..all grown up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, not sure who you are but thank you for the memory. :) I also used to want to be a cleaning lady and a cashier because the ones I had met were very kind and fun. Samir always says I should be an actress, haha/

      Delete
  7. I think writing has given me an ability to not be hurt by rejection. (Well, usually not hurt by it.)

    ReplyDelete