Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Create! Create! Create!

I've been thinking about this topic for awhile. The people who I admire the most are the ones who, to an extent, created their own educations. I've been fortunate to have incredible teachers throughout the years and something my favorite English teacher taught me is that at some point, it's up to each of us to be aware of our strengths and do something about it.

"Just because a trait is in the chromosomes, doesn't mean it'll flourish."

To an extent, there's little benefit to having a talent/interest if it isn't put into action. Every one of us has a unique combination of skills and when they're put into gear, incredible things can happen not just for ourselves, but for others as well.

For example, I've met so many authors who literally learned how to write from Google. They didn't take classes or have family members who already wrote. They recognized a gravity towards weaving words and then made something from it. And maybe it took a lot of deleting and rewriting and nail biting and doubting but it developed organically. And it'll always be something that nobody else could have given them. 

I went to an engineering college and threw too many internal pity parties. Nobody there valued grammar or creative writing or anything that wasn't about electric circuits and physics equations. But instead of whining, I should have created my own opportunities. Creation. Quite frankly, the answer to everything. 

So, if you like writing but don't want to fit into a genre, create your own genre!
If you think of yourself as compassionate, volunteer with a cause that speaks to you!
If you see a problem---in your family, in the world----think of a different solution and implement it!

I'm not sure if  you had a chance to hear the Ashton Kutcher speech and no, I never thought I'd say this, but it was wonderful. One of his last lines:

"Everything around us that we call life was made up of people that are no smarter than you. And you can build your own things and you can build your own life that other people can live in."

Edit: Someone pointed out that the above quote is originally from Steve Jobs and Ashton Kutcher was reiterating it during his speech. Sorry for the confusion!

9 comments:

  1. Hey, You are speaking my thoughts aloud...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! So well said. These are very liberating words. And I've not yet seen Ashton's speech, but i'm going to make it a point to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kutcher actually said something profound.
    Wasted talent is worse than no talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was STEVE JOBS...not Ashton Kutcher...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon, you're so right!! He was quoting a quote. Allow me to clarify that and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashton is in biopic-movie, acting as Steve Jobs. That was SteveJ's famous quote. IN fact Sjobs's Stanford speech is legendary..a must see/hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, his acting received mixed reviews so far and that speech is one of my all time favorites!

      Delete
  7. it doesnt matter who said it...if such thoughts inspire us to create a change...

    ReplyDelete