Saturday, September 14, 2013

links, quotes, thoughts

Links:

*An insightful article on studying medicine with compassion

*Mindfulness training is good for physicians and patients

Quotes:

"If you wish to achieve worthwhile things in your personal and career life, you must become a worthwhile person in your own self-development." Brian Tracy

"I am learning everyday every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me." Traccie Ellie Ross

"People need to be encouraged. People need to be reminded of how wonderful they are. People need to be believed in and told they are brave and smart and capable of accomplishing all the dreams they dream and more." -Stacey Jean Speer

Thoughts: 

*I've found that last quote by Speer to be especially true these past months. So many people come to the doctor just to be encouraged. It's our duty and privilege to be empowering cheerleaders. Sometimes it's been as simple as acknowledging that someone has been through a lot. Nobody likes feeling that their battles have gone unnoticed. 

*It's a blessing to be at a place where every relationship in my life is based on mutual respect and love. The people who aren't in my life have made it lighter. Isn't that wonderful---for an absence to be a positive, tangible force?  I hope they are well and that in the future, they handle their mistakes with insight and courage. 

*I have to make my tender self hold hands with my aggressive self. Outstretched, so neither can travel too far without the other.