Saturday, September 28, 2013

redefining time

This week, I began an interesting schedule: 24 hour shifts every other day. It's as though time was put in a blender and poured out in a different form. I've woken up at 6 p.m. for breakfast and called my friends at 3 a.m., confused when they thought I was deranged. 

I'm still not sure what field of medicine I want to go into, since my interests in global, mental, and women's health can intersect in many ways. I've found that when there's a little bit of uncertainty, the best thing to do is focus on the now. Right now, there's magic to bringing a baby into the world. Right now, I'm humbled by the way a macho, tattoed man can break down in tears when he holds his little girl for the first time. Life from life from life.

With each year, I found that life is both uncertain and certain at once. We evolve from a question into a solid, declarative sentence. But there's little that's linear about it. Instead, it tends to be about braiding the contradictions together into a solid path. 

"What makes a book good?" Someone asked the other day.

There's never one answer. Some books are good because of the characters. Some have poetic writing. Others are quickly paced. This truth is the same reason why rejection is inevitable. Our work won't be good or bad to someone for the same reasons. This fact then leads to the other piece of advice we've all received: never give up because you never know who your work will connect with.

So, it goes:

Books can be good for different reasons---> Not everyone will connect with your particular reason---> Keep improving your work and looking for someone to "get" your view

I'm not sure where I was initially going with this post; something about time and linearity and books. Maybe when night and day have a clearer separation, my thoughts will, too :)

In the meantime, I'm excited to catch up with your blogs!

Also, I've heard so many great things about Alex's books (why am I not surprised?). Next weekend, that's the plan: Alex's books + normal schedule!

4 comments:

  1. Saumya, thanks!! What a surprise.
    We don't know who will connect with our work. The ones who get it, really get it, and the ones that don't - well, they weren't our audience anyway.
    And despite all of the possibilities open to you now, don't stress about picking just the right one. You don't know where the path will lead and you can always change paths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been busy! You're amazing for keeping to that schedule, Saumya.

    People like and dislike books for all different reasons. That's why it's important to write about something you're passionate about, not just to the trends. If you write from the heart, it's guaranteed it'll touch someone else's heart, too.

    Take care of yourself!! And good luck deciding which field of medicine you want to pursue. :)

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connection with a book is such a tricky thing. Lovely post, and I hope your time sense sorts itself out soon!

    ReplyDelete