Tuesday, November 5, 2013

An insightful quote from an insightful writer

*I'm not doing NaNo but will continue to share thoughts on writing (and other facets of life, of course). Tonight, though, I'd like to share this quote by Alice Walker. It's true for anyone.


Some periods of our growth are so confusing that we don’t even recognize that growth is happening. We may feel hostile or angry or weepy and hysterical, or we may feel depressed. It would never occur to us, unless we stumbled on a book or a person who explained to us, that we were in fact in the process of change, of actually becoming larger, spiritually, than we were before. Whenever we grow, we tend to feel it, as a young seed must feel the weight and inertia of the earth as it seeks to break out of its shell on its way to becoming a plant. Often the feeling is anything but pleasant. But what is most unpleasant is the not knowing what is happening. Those long periods when something inside ourselves seems to be waiting, holding its breath, unsure about what the next step should be, eventually become the periods we wait for, for it is in those periods that we realize that we are being prepared for the next phase of our life and that, in all probability, a new level of the personality is about to be revealed.”


— 
                                           Alice Walker, Living by the Word

19 comments:

  1. You have no idea how much I wanted to hear that! Thankyou for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm- such rich depth in each sentence. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so welcome to hear right now. Thanks for sharing. Alice Walker is a fave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ile uygulama gelistirmek isteyen kullanicilar daha ünce bildirgecte sunulan bildirilere ek olarak refreshingapps sitesinde yer alan kaynaklara güz atabilir diger kullanicilar tarafindan yapilan uygulamalari görebilirsiniz. Eger sizin de bu tarz bir uygulama(lar)niz varsa siteye

    Best Cardsharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is an amazing insight. Thanks for sharing, Saumya. Hope your writing, doctoring, and wedding planning are going well!!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  6. Change often isn't pretty, but we either change or die. Wonderful quote to share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a wonderful quote. I couldn't have phrased it as beautifully, but I have had those periods where I feel like growth is causing me discomfort, like a snake that needs to shed it's older, too-small skin. And I agree that it's spiritual growth, but she says it so much better. Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so, so beautiful. I recently went through a period of time like that, and this expresses perfectly what I felt! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you like Ram Leela yesterday? Do you understand hindi or mostly subtitles? Did Madhvi aunty enjoy the movie? :-))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I enjoyed the setting, clothing, and music. The story was okay. Have you seen it? And Mom, Maansi, and I had a great time.

      Delete
    2. You should try your hand at proper review on this blog. Should be fun. You guys were sitting right behind me. I wanted to say 'hi' to your mom but wasn't sure if she would remember me. Your sis used to be really little (brother even more little)...how big y'all are now. Last time I saw your mom was when Baba Ramdevji was in town. She was singing bhajans etc on stage.

      Delete
    3. SLB is considered auteur director and I loved the costumes as well. Deepika is delight to watch and some scenes were fab (didn't like the overall plot and thought it had too much 'noise' gun/violence) but still enjoyed the visual fest on screen which cannot be captured on small screen, so must see in theater type of movie. Check this out :http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report-dressing-up-her-director-s-vision-1924109

      Delete
    4. I agree with everything you said and will check out the link. Thanks! Also, my mom remembers everyone and I'm sure she would have loved to see you. What's your name? Next time we're in the same place, come and say hi to us!

      Delete
    5. tall woman in printed platform shoes, denim skirt....I passed by y'all, in the lobby...madhvi aunty looks the same still...I am terribly socially shy...so it takes a lot for me to speak :-))))

      Delete
    6. I understand. We'd love to say hi, though, so hope to be in touch! How'd you come across this site?

      Delete
    7. I love reading blogs...was on some other blog where you had commented and clicked on your BlogSpot profile which brought me here. And I was thinking "gosh...I 'know' Saumya..." :-))

      Delete
  10. This is so true. And when we get to the other side....what joy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very true and very nice article! thanks for sharing..I'd love to read your other articles.
    spiritual insights

    ReplyDelete