Thursday, January 2, 2014

If I Knew Then: 2014

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone got some time to relax and refresh! The past month has been busy in the best type of way, with love and friendship and the types of moments that demand nostalgia before they're over. I don't believe in New Year's resolutions (I prefer daily ones) but relish reflections. 

1. Take time for yourself because people will rarely give it to you. 

2. Spend time with family, whether that's the one you were given or the tribe you built for yourself. 

3.Don't ever give up on those you love. A cry for help, acceptance, or security can be disguised in many ways.

4. One day, you'll wake up and realize that not only have you accepted everything you've been through but that you've also found contentment with the absence of certain people.

5. Keep a notebook for your own thoughts and the wisdom of others. Reading and writing make you a better person. (I ordered notebooks and feminist cards from Rifle Paper Company. They also had this wonderful Anatomy of Love card!)



6. Don't let the world harden you. Be an advocate for those who are struggling.

7. Creative pursuits are fun and fulfilling but they are also work. Don't allow your motivation to wane because of this.

8. Read outside your genre to improve your writing. Study the way television shows introduce characters and conflict. Analyze a short story. Sift through poetry. 

9. Surround yourself with people who are more intelligent/inspiring/successful/insert any positive adjective than you. 

10. Confidence is quiet. If you're great, the world will tell you. You won't need to tell the world. 



9 comments:

  1. Number nine is sound advice! Why hang our with turkeys?
    Happy New Year, Saumya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Saumya!
    Have a great year and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love every one of these. I hope you have a most wonderful new year, Saumya!! <3

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all wonderful ideas. I love number 5.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas and very inspiring as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list, as always. I love the last one. But the world doesn't tell me AND I say nothing. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year to you. From your list, numbers 7 and 8 really resonated with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year to you! I see you finished your novel. Are you in the querying stages now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. #9 really gave me pause for thought. As a mother with four young kids, I'm mostly surrounded by kids and mothers, and I crave, desperately crave, more intellectual companionship. I have been blessed fortunately with three friends that really challenge me though. One has recently adopted two foster children in addition to her own 4. That blew my mind. Another does outreach every weekend to the homeless. It makes me reconsider that maybe sometimes I don't need the intellectual companionship I crave: I need stimulation in compassion and selflessness.

    ReplyDelete