Wednesday, August 27, 2014

starting on a creative path



“What nobody tells people who are beginners — and I really wish someone had told this to me . . . is that all of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, and it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase. They quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know it’s normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.” 


-Ira Glass

11 comments:

  1. That is so true. We start with a vision of how we want to sound and we fall far short. But the only way to reach that vision is to keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Discipline and perseverance, that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saum, you've spoken and danced so beautifully this summer...people are still talking bout it...such a great bridesmaid :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's so sweet. Being a bridesmaid several times this year was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  4. oh my gosh! I've never thought of it that way and it make so much sense. Maybe someday my taste and writing will match.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice! I need to work on a deadline. That might help my procrastination issues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will never be as good as I hope to be... I have yet to make peace with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought you just have to show up to your own wedding and that's all it takes..what with planners, photogs,catering...all outsourced...but having gone to summer weddings this year for the first time, now I realize so many months of planning and execution...stressful. Hope you have/had a wonderful wedding and post-wedding happiness. congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean! It's a stressful and fun time for the hosts and we're very excited. Hope you had fun at your summer weddings!!

      Delete
    2. it was one of those poor rich folks...poor in heart...gave rs 100 sari, which was generous of them. A first in 20 years! lol.

      Delete
  8. You have to learn the hardest way, right....

    ReplyDelete