Ways to sharpen your writing when you can't write:
1. Study popular television shows and ask what makes them work well. Dissect the characters and dialogue.
2. Learn someone's life story. Watch their face when they are filled with hope. Observe the tone of their voice when you ask about their plans for the holidays.
3. Plot during your commute. If you drive, contemplate ways to add more conflict in your work.
4. Listen to an audiobook.
5. Watch a Ted talk on a topic you know nothing about.
6. Soak in details about everything. Writers are observers.
7. Take a break from anything creative.
9. Write a diary entry from each character's perspective.
10. Read Psychology Today and learn more about human nature. Read everything.