Saturday, October 10, 2015

making time for our writing


I've worked almost every weekend since starting my job at the hospital. I love it---the patients, my co-residents, our seniors---but it has been a challenge to keep up with other parts of my life.

With each new stage, I've realized I need to come up with different ways to make sure I write. I don't usually get a lunch break and get little free time during the day to read or write, so that means my time outside of the hospital is the only window available for writing.

Here are some things that have helped me so far:


1. Write for a short period of time. 
Most days, I can only do 10-30 minutes of writing. I need to commit to that, even if it doesn't seem like much. The tiny pockets of time have a way of adding up.

2. Protect writing time. 
Writing time should be shielded. That means anything else that comes up---a phone call, event, etc.----takes a back seat.

3. Plotting.
I've never really decided whether I'm a "plotter" or "panster" but I've found that plotting ahead of time helps me get straight to the writing. I can plot in my head, during my walk to work, and then simmer with the idea during the day. 

4. Sleep.
Creativity will not flourish without sleep. I tend to spend the majority of my days off catching up on sleep and then writing in the evening. 

4 comments:

  1. Yes, shield that writing time. If it's writing not matter what, you will get a lot accomplished.
    As for your other post, unrequited love is overrated. It's like a one way friendship. A lot of effort with no payoff. Why bother? (And while I've liked someone without the feeling being reciprocated, I'm fortunate that I've only loved once - my wife.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much good stuff here! I'm busier now, too, and I have more to juggle. I agree: protect the writing time, even if it's in smaller pockets of your day. And yes, sleep is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a while since I've been here to visit. So good to see you are still writing but how do you do it with what I can imagine is a grueling schedule? Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine how someone who doesn't plot can still make progress in tiny windows of time. It must happen, surely, I just can't see how someone can do it. There is also a lot more rewriting when you're a "pantser", taking even more time.

    ReplyDelete